Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 11:53:17AM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 10:31:19AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > My default answer would be to trust the maintainers of the relevant
> > > subsystems (or try to convince them when you disagree :-)).
> >
> > You know, trust is a two-way street. If you want to trust maintainers,
> > they need to trust others as well. The situation where one maintainer
> > says "I don't trust you, so I will not allow you and other X maintainers
> > to do Y" is not a healthy situation.
> >
> > > Not only should they know the technical implications best, they should also have
> > > a good view of the whole vertical stack, and the implications of
> > > pass-through for their ecosystem.
> >
> > It is wishful thinking. It is clearly not true for large subsystems
> > and/or complex devices.
>
> Are you saying that kernel communities behind large subsystems for
> complex devices generally have no idea about what they're doing ? Or
> that in a small number of particular cases those communities are
> clueless ? Or does that apply to just the maintainer, not the whole
> subsystem core developers ? I'd like to better understand the scale of
> your claim here.

I don't know how you jumped from saying "the maintainers of the relevant
subsystems" to "kernel communities". I'm talking about maintainers, not
communities.

There is no way to know everything about everything. In large subsystems,
the stack above kernel is so vast, which makes it impossible to know all
use cases. This is why some words (... good ... whole ...) in your sentence
are not accurate.

So the idea that one maintainer somehow equal to the whole community and
this person can block something for other members of the larger community
is overreaching.

Thanks