Re: What's the current status with bnxt_re-abi.h

De : Selvin Xavier <selvin.xavier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
À : Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc : linux-rdma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date : 12 juin 2024 19:18:34
Objet : Re: What's the current status with bnxt_re-abi.h

> Hi,
> bnxt_re-abi.h in linux kernel and rdma-core uses abi version 1. We
> dont bump up the version in upstream and backward compatibility is
> maintained using the comp_mask field of the interface structures.
>
> If you are using the latest drivers maintained in the Broadcom site
> (which uses ABI version 6), you need to use the libbnxt_re hosted in
> the Broacom site itself. We maintain compatibility between the Out of
> tree driver and Out of tree library.
>
> Thanks,
> Selvin
>
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 10:21 PM Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 12/06/2024 at 18:47:36+0200:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In bnxt_re-abi.h, the abi version mentioned is 1. It's used as it's in
>>> all libibverbs to determine the min AND max supported ABI.
>>>
>>> bnxt_re isn't currently mainlined in the kernel,
>>
>> Sorry, a word is missing: "Recent bnxt_re isn't currently mainlined"
>>
>>> and those eager to use
>>> the driver need to rely on the one provided by broadcom on their
>>> website.
>>>
>>> The thing is, they bumped their ABI version multiple times (current is
>>> 6). In the current context, one can't use the manually compiled bnxt_re
>>> driver with libibverbs as any call will error due to the bnxt_re abi
>>> version being outside of min/max supported abi version.
>>>
>>> What's the current situation regarding bnxt_re, should we consider
>>> libibverb support of bnxt_re as deprecated?
>>>
>>> Of course I could have missed something, sorry for that if that's the
>>> case.
>>>
>>> Bests,
Hey Selvin,

Thanks a lot for clarifying this.

I built libbnxt_re, but the thing is, I can't use the usual infiniband tooling (ib_write_bw) et al without using libibverbs which is still the linux-rdma one.

Do you have an alternative to suggest that I should consider?

Also, would a RDMA+SRIOV-capable broadcom card with the latest firmware (229 something) work fine with the drivers shipped in rdma-core.

If so maybe I should use what's provided by the kernel and rdma-core.

Bests,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue