Re: [RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

On Sat, Mar 09, 2024 at 05:14:18PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2024 at 04:23:42PM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > The DMA API callers really need to know what is P2P or not for
> > > various reasons.  And they should generally have that information
> > > available, either from pin_user_pages that needs to special case
> > > it or from the in-kernel I/O submitter that build it from P2P and
> > > normal memory.
> >
> > I think that is a BIO thing. RDMA just calls with FOLL_PCI_P2PDMA and
> > shoves the resulting page list into in a scattertable. It never checks
> > if any returned page is P2P - it has no reason to care. dma_map_sg()
> > does all the work.
>
> Right now it does, but that's not really a good interface.  If we have
> a pin_user_pages variant that only pins until the next relevant P2P
> boundary and tells you about we can significantly simplify the overall
> interface.

And you will need to have a way to instruct that pin_user_pages() variant
to continue anyway, because you asked for FOLL_PCI_P2PDMA. Without that
force, you will have !FOLL_PCI_P2PDMA behaviour.

When you say "simplify the overall interface", which interface do you mean?

Thanks