Re: [RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 08:00:36PM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > I don't think you can do without dma_addr_t storage.  In most cases
> > your can just store the dma_addr_t in the LE/BE encoded hardware
> > SGL, so no extra storage should be needed though.
>
> RDMA (and often DRM too) generally doesn't work like that, the driver
> copies the page table into the device and then the only reason to have
> a dma_addr_t storage is to pass that to the dma unmap API. Optionally
> eliminating long term dma_addr_t storage would be a worthwhile memory
> savings for large long lived user space memory registrations.

It's just kinda hard to do.  For aligned IOMMU mapping you'd only
have one dma_addr_t mappings (or maybe a few if P2P regions are
involved), so this probably doesn't matter.  For direct mappings
you'd have a few, but maybe the better answer is to use THP
more aggressively and reduce the number of segments.

> I wrote the list as from a single IO operation perspective, so all but
> 5 need to store a single IOVA range that could be stored in some
> simple non-dynamic memory along with whatever HW SGLs/etc are needed.
>
> The point of 5 being different is because the driver has to provide a
> dynamically sized list of dma_addr_t's as storage until unmap. 5 is
> the only case that requires that full list.

No, all cases need to store one or more ranges.

> > > So are you thinking something more like a driver flow of:
> > >
> > >   .. extent IO and get # aligned pages and know if there is P2P ..
> > >   dma_init_io(state, num_pages, p2p_flag)
> > >   if (dma_io_single_range(state)) {
> > >        // #2, #4
> > >        for each io()
> > > 	    dma_link_aligned_pages(state, io range)
> > >        hw_sgl = (state->iova, state->len)
> > >   } else {
> >
> > I think what you have a dma_io_single_range should become before
> > the dma_init_io.  If we know we can't coalesce it really just is a
> > dma_map_{single,page,bvec} loop, no need for any extra state.
>
> I imagine dma_io_single_range() to just check a flag in state.
>
> I still want to call dma_init_io() for the non-coalescing cases
> because all the flows, regardless of composition, should be about as
> fast as dma_map_sg is today.

If all flows includes multiple non-coalesced regions that just makes
things very complicated, and that's exactly what I'd want to avoid.

> That means we need to always pre-allocate the IOVA in any case where
> the IOMMU might be active - even on a non-coalescing flow.
>
> IOW, dma_init_io() always pre-allocates IOVA if the iommu is going to
> be used and we can't just call today's dma_map_page() in a loop on the
> non-coalescing side and pay the overhead of Nx IOVA allocations.
>
> In large part this is for RDMA, were a single P2P page in a large
> multi-gigabyte user memory registration shouldn't drastically harm the
> registration performance by falling down to doing dma_map_page, and an
> IOVA allocation, on a 4k page by page basis.

But that P2P page needs to be handled very differently, as with it
we can't actually use a single iova range.  So I'm not sure how that
is even supposed to work.  If you have

 +-------+-----+-------+
 | local | P2P | local |
 +-------+-----+-------+

you need at least 3 hw SGL entries, as the IOVA won't be contigous.

> The other thing that got hand waved here is how does dma_init_io()
> know which of the 6 states we are looking at? I imagine we probably
> want to do something like:
>
>    struct dma_io_summarize summary = {};
>    for each io()
>         dma_io_summarize_range(&summary, io range)
>    dma_init_io(dev, &state, &summary);
>    if (state->single_range) {
>    } else {
>    }
>    dma_io_done_mapping(&state); <-- flush IOTLB once

That's why I really just want 2 cases.  If the caller guarantees the
range is coalescable and there is an IOMMU use the iommu-API like
API, else just iter over map_single/page.

> Enhancing the single sgl case is not a big change, I think. It does
> seem simplifying for the driver to not have to coalesce SGLs to detect
> the single-SGL fast-path.
>
> > > This is not quite what you said, we split the driver flow based on
> > > needing 1 HW SGL vs need many HW SGL.
> >
> > That's at least what I intended to say, and I'm a little curious as what
> > it came across.
>
> Ok, I was reading the discussion more about as alignment than single
> HW SGL, I think you ment alignment as implying coalescing behavior
> implying single HW SGL..

Yes.