Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Wednesday, October 06, 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > No, I really think it is wrong. This what leads us to the situation we
> > > are in at the moment. Every device [re]implements  its own little knobs
> > > to do power management. Accelerometers export their (often tailored to a
> > > specific platform) attributes in sysfs in nonstandard way. And so on,
> > > and so forth.
> > >
> > > Here I'd like to see these (PM) hooks done on device core level, i.e.
> > > the knobs should be unified and live in /sys/devices/.../deviceX/power/
> >
> > I haven't followed this thread in detail.  What sort of knobs are you
> > talking about?  That is, what needs to be done?  Maybe the PM core
> > already provides these features.
> >

> Mobile folks wish to power down some devices (most often input -
> touchscreen, keypad) under certain circumstances to save power.
> So far they were doing that by adding "disable" hook to individual
> drivers and while I did allow that in for some devices I feel that we
> need more standardised solution, preferably one that could re-use
> existing PM hooks in drivers.

There's no interface for that at the PM core level, but I think we should
add it, perhaps in analogy to the autosuspend one.  Namely, we can add a
flag for drivers who want to make their suspend/resume callbacks to be
reachable directly from user space.  Setting that flag would enable a sysfs
attribute in /sys/devices/.../power/ allowing user space to invoke
pm_runtime_suspend() and pm_runtime_resume() for the given device.

Thanks,
Rafael