Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > No, I really think it is wrong. This what leads us to the situation we
> > > are in at the moment. Every device [re]implements  its own little knobs
> > > to do power management. Accelerometers export their (often tailored to a
> > > specific platform) attributes in sysfs in nonstandard way. And so on,
> > > and so forth.
> > >
> > > Here I'd like to see these (PM) hooks done on device core level, i.e.
> > > the knobs should be unified and live in /sys/devices/.../deviceX/power/
> >
> > I haven't followed this thread in detail.  What sort of knobs are you
> > talking about?  That is, what needs to be done?  Maybe the PM core
> > already provides these features.
> >

> Mobile folks wish to power down some devices (most often input -
> touchscreen, keypad) under certain circumstances to save power.
> So far they were doing that by adding "disable" hook to individual
> drivers and while I did allow that in for some devices I feel that we
> need more standardised solution, preferably one that could re-use
> existing PM hooks in drivers.

The OMAP people are working on exactly the same problem and are doing
their best to solve it using the runtime PM framework.  There have been
a couple of threads about it on the linux-pm mailing list:

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/linux-pm/2010-September/028689.html
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/linux-pm/2010-September/028868.html

The question is not so much how the driver should be told to power-down
a device (the PM framework takes care of all that); it's how to
recognize when those "certain circumstances" occur.  Can this be done
by the kernel in a reasonably platform-independent way?  Or does the
kernel have to be told by userspace?  The PM framework supports both
kinds of mechanism.

Alan Stern