Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:56 +0200, ext Sundar R IYER wrote:
> Hi,

This is how I see this issue

I tried to push enable / disable entries to generic input layer to avoid
driver specific controls. That was not accepted.

The need for keypad locking is not following any global PM transition.
In phones (like N900), global suspend / resume is not used at all. Phone
is running all the time. For example phone must be able to handle
incoming calls all the time. Instead suspend / resume, system is in deep
idle state as much as possible. Wake up from that takes couple of
milliseconds and everything is running again. Powers, clocks and any
extra activity must be turned off when ever possile depending on the
overall system state.

For input devices this means that keypad, touch controller etc. are
turned off or partially disabled for example when the screen is blanked.
Meanwhile system may still have other activity ongoing like mp3
playback. When the screen is off, there must be some way to tell to
touch controller that please turn off and save some power. This not
following pm transitions. On the other hand, disable entry may trig
pm_runtime suspend transifion for that device.

For mobile devices it is not acceptable to filter events away at some
upper SW layer depending on the system state. The HW which generates
those events may not generate events at all to allow longer CPU sleep
periods.

In ideal world it would be nice to control device states based on for
example user count. However, there are several listeners for input
devices and it is hard or impossible to have them all to follow overall
state transition (screen blanked etc.). Instead, there is some system
state controller in the userspace who is responsible to get all the HW
in the correct state. Separate disable / enable entries makes life much
easier.

Hopefully this clears out our point of view.

Regards,
Samu