Re: [RESEND patch 2.6.25] ACPI uses device_may_wakeup() policy inputs

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:18 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> This imports the driver model device.power.may_wakeup flags to ACPI,
> using it to *REPLACE* the /proc/acpi/wakeup flags for some devices.
> It depends on the previous patch making device.power.can_wakeup
> behave.
> It does that by:
>
>  - Implementing platform_enable_wakeup(), which is currently invoked
> only
>    by pci_enable_wake().  When that's called -- probably in the driver
>    suspend() call -- it updates acpi_device.wakeup.state.enabled flag
> in
>    the same way writing to /proc/acpi/wakeup updates it.
>
>  - Updating the usage of the corresponding ACPI flags when turning on
>    wakeup power domains and GPEs.
>
> THIS PATCH NEEDS MORE ATTENTION because of the way the ACPI method
> invocations have been changing, e.g. the 1.0 vs 2.0 sequencing.
>
> Right now it's not clear to me whether the GPEs are always enabled at
> the right time, and for that matter whether the rules haven't changed
> so that drivers can no longer effectively control those settings from
> suspend() unless acpi_new_pts_ordering is in effect.
Sorry. It's such a long sentence which is hard for me to understand. :(

> it's not clear to me whether the GPEs are always enabled at
> the right time
this patch doesn't change the time when GPEs are enabled.
when do you think should be the right time to enable the GPEs?

> ACPI systems see behavioral changes as follows:
>
>    * Wakeup-aware PCI drivers no longer need to have someone override
> the
>      initial system config by writing to /proc/acpi/wakeup; existing
> calls
>      to pci_enable_wake() suffice.  For wakeup-unaware drivers, it's
> still
>      not clearly safe to enable wakeup in /proc/acpi/wakeup.
>
>    * Non-PCI frameworks (as for PS2 serial ports) could call the
> platform
>      hook like PCI does, supporting wakeup-aware drivers.
>
>    * The /sys/devices/.../power/wakeup flags are a different kind of
> manual
>      override.  They _disable_ wakeup for broken hardware or drivers,
> rather
>      than _enabling_ it in the hope that unmodified drivers won't
> break when
>      their hardware triggers wakeup events.
>
> NOT YET SIGNED-OFF ... primarily because of the confusion about
> the order in which ACPI methods get called during entry to suspend
> states.
I think it's safe to apply this patch.
But I don't know what's the relationship between this patch and the
"acpi_new_pts_ordering" stuff you stated earlier, do I miss something?

thanks,
rui