Re: Alternative Concept

Could you guys present a clear definition of exactly what you mean by
"clock domain" and "power domain"? I can think of several different ways
to interpret the phrases, and I'd like to end up with the same meaning
that you are arguing from...

thanks,
scott

| From: David Brownell<david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx>
|
| On Sunday 18 March 2007 7:27 pm, Ikhwan Lee wrote:
| > Hi,

| > > Good thing that's not what I suggested then, right?  :)
| > >
| > > The point was that in the examples I've seen, the power domains
| > > are associated with clock domains, so that each clock is tied
| > > to one power domain.  And since you can't use the power domain
| > > without having a clock ... the implementation can tell if it's
| > > got to activate a power domain by looking at the clock.
| >
| > True, although sometimes it gets dirty because multiple clock sources
| > are associated with one power domain
|
| As clearly allowed for in what I wrote.  clock->power_domain.
|
| > at the same time multiple power
| > domains are associated with one clock source.
|
| As also allowed for in what I wrote originally.  clock->power_domains[].
|
| > Simple parent and child
| > relationship provided by the clock framework is not always enough.
|
| Not implied in what I wrote.
|

| > > There may be other models of power domain, but that's the one
| > > I've had reason to look at (which isn't synonymous with a straight
| > > voltage/current supply).

| > > Perhaps when we see one, we could discuss that as somethong other
| > > than pure handwaving.  But that still won't address the basic point
| > > that it's wrong to assume the clock framework should be written out
| > > of the picture.
| >
| > I think we can reach an agreement. The clock framework does not need
| > to be replaced with a new one since it is serving its purpose well
| > enough. If extra functionalities are needed for clocks, we can extend
| > the existing clock framework. Such extensions will include functions
| > like clk_set_rate_pending() and power_transaction_commit(). However,
| > since clocks and voltages (or power domains) have different
| > characteristics, it is desirable to have a separate framework for
| > power domains and associate that framework with the existing clock
| > framework.
|
| If the platform needs power domains to be exposed, yes.  But I gave
| examples where it does NOT need to be exposed, since each clock was
| in a single power domain.
|

| > I am not sure if this is the direction that the original PowerOp
| > people suggested. If we can agree on this, however, I think we can
| > proceed to look at the code.
|
| I'm not sure why such agreement should be necessary before showing
| interface definitions.
|
| - Dave

scott preece
motorola mobile devices, il67, 1800 s. oak st., champaign, il  61820
e-mail:	preece@xxxxxxxxxxxx	fax:	+1-217-384-8550
phone:	+1-217-384-8589	cell: +1-217-433-6114	pager: 2174336114@xxxxxxxxx