[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> PowerOP provides userland interface for changing processor
>>> frequency. That's bad -- duplicate interface.
>> Basically the biggest problem with cpufreq interface is that cpufreq has
>> "chose
>> predefined closest to a given frequency" functionality implemented in the
>> kernel while there is _no_ any reason to have this functionality
>> implemented in
>> the kernel if we have sysfs interface exported by PowerOP in place - you
>> just
>
> No, there is reason to keep that in kernel -- so that cpufreq
> userspace interface can be kept, and so that resulting kernel<->user
> interface is not ugly.
Cpuferq defines cpufreq_frequency_table structure in arch independent header
while it's arch dependent data structure. A lot of code is built around this
invalid basic brick and therefore is invalid: cpufreq tables, interface with cpu
freq drivers, etc. Notion of transition latency as it defined by cpufreq is
wrong because it's not a function of cpu type but function of current and next
operating point. no runtime control on operating points set. it's always the
same set of operating points for all system cpus in smp case and no way to
define different sets or track any dependencies in case say multi core cpus.
insufficient kernel<->user space interface to handle embedded requirements and
no way to extend it within current design. Shall I continue?  Why should then
anyone want to keep cpufreq userspace interface just due to keep it?

>> of the fact that cpufreq implements incorrect design of PM stack layers and
>> interfaces. PowerOP solves this issues as well.
>
> Actually I believe that cpufreq implements correct design and PowerOP
> got it wrong.
PowerOP/cufreq integration patch set contains very details explanation of the
cpufreq design issues and POwerOP solutions. Comment there is you feel it's wrong.

Eugeny