[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

I know its confusing having oppoint (from Dave Singleton) and powerop
being discussed at the same time.  However, I believe we (PowerOP) have
already address most of the concerns/requirements from the community
and the embedded folks.  Here is a summary of PowerOP that will
(hopefully) clear up our approach:

- PowerOP is only one layer (towards the bottom) in a power management
solution.
- PowerOP does *not* replace cpufreq
- PowerOP can replace the cpufreq_driver layer of cpufreq but cpufreq
integration not required.
- in kernel cpufreq governors are not directly affect by integrating
cpufreq and powerop. (Can be extended and/or ported to more
architectures and operating points)
- Again, cpufreq userspace and kernel interfaces can continue to be
used as they are today.
- PowerOP defines the parameters you want to change on a per
architecture/board basis.
- The PowerOP interface was discussed in detail on this list and we
haven't heard any negative comments.
- We are not advocating the integration with sleep states.  We want to
get the PowerOP interface accepted and then we can build on it.
- PowerOP is *required* by the embedded folks.

We have a few more comments from Greg to take care of and  we can add a
Documentation/ file. Then I think its time to get the PowerOP patches
in the queue for acceptance.    Any comments about this?

btw,  PowerOP<->Cpufreq integration discussion can wait until Dominik
and Dave Jones have time for more discussion.