[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On 9/9/06, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:

> > > No, processes are not frozen for simple cpu frequency change -- on
> > > non-broken cpus.
> >
> > I didn't say cpu frequency changes freeze processes.  I said a suspend
> > does a prepare to suspend step (which freezes processes) and a cpu frequency
> > change does a prepare to change frequency step (where it will run the driver
> > notifier list to get drivers set to scale).
>
> Yep, and switching consoles is also same. It is prepare to switch, do
> a switch, notify people you switched. Shall we use same code?

No.  Since switching console is not dealing with changing the operating
state of the system.  It's just switching which device is the console.

> > They both do the same three steps:
> >
> > 1) prepare to transition
> >
> > 2) transition
> >
> > 3) finish transition
> >
> > That's one of my arguements as to why suspend states should be treated
> > just like frequency states.
>
> Cat and horse is a same animal. They both have 4 legs, one head and a
> tail.
>
> Anyway, as a software suspend maintainer, I do not want you to add
> non-sleeping states to /sys/power/state. I will NAK any attempt to do
> so. Please find more suitable interface.

You are right.  The power/state files for devices are for suspend
states as well.  I'll find a different interface for operating states and
leave suspend states in /sys/power/state.

David