[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On 8/29/06, Matthew Locke <matthew.a.locke at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:

Actually what I was trying, unsuccessfully, to explain was that
suspend states are valid, supported operating states the
system can be in for power management.    And that they are the
same as an operating point for a processor frequency.

Nothing is being 'mixed' because they are all the same thing;
an operating point the system can be in from a power management
perspective.

And since they are are valid operating points they should be in
the same power management framework and operate
through the same interfaces.

And voltage and frequency (and latency) do matter to suspend states.
Systems that support multiple suspend states have different
power consumption levels (hence the voltage requirement) associated
with the different suspend states.

And different suspend states have latencies to get into
and the power manager needs to know all of this information.

The power manager must know about the voltage values
to determine which state consumes the most or least power.

And the power manager must know about the latencies for different
states so it can decide when best to use them.  If a suspend state
takes too long to enter for the current operation of they system then
the power manager may choose to just move to a lower power consumption
operating point.

>The per point
> transition callbacks are needed just to handle the sleep points.

Not true.  The call backs are also needed when transitioning
to a new processor frequency operating point that will affect device state.

 The prepare to transition and finish transition callbacks
are needed for transitions between all operating points, whether
a suspend or processor frequency point.  Which is why I'm using
the existing cpufreq scaling callbacks and transitioning between
both supported processor frequencies and suspend states
is working on different architectures for OpPoint now.

> Latency has a very different meaning between the two types.

No, latency means the same thing for all operating points.  It's the time
it takes to transition into the state (and out of as well).

The power manager needs to know that time it takes to transition into
both a new cpu frequency and a suspend state.  If the suspend state
latency is too long the power manager may choose to just go to
a lower frequency operating point.

And when devices can export their latencies to transition into an idle
or suspended state the design and model still works.

And in fact the power manager can then better create policies which contain
an operating point for the entire system and a set of device states,
which is the definition of a policy.  And where the huge combination of
possible policies comes from.

When the power manager understands the frequency, voltage and
latency for each supported operating point and the latencies for
idling devices it can then operate in the most efficient manner
and create the best power management polices and classes of
policies for the system.

>  Also,  the
> type field is required to identify which points are sleep points and
> which ones are operating points.

They are all operating points.  They are all valid, supported states the system
can be in.  And of course they should be in the same power management
framework and work through the same interfaces.