[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On Fri 08-09-06 17:39:52, David Singleton wrote:
> On 9/3/06, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> > > And those same steps are the same steps required to transition the
> > > system to a new operating point, whether it's suspend or change
> > > from 1.4GHz to 600MHz.
> >
> > No, processes are not frozen for simple cpu frequency change -- on
> > non-broken cpus.
>
> I didn't say cpu frequency changes freeze processes.  I said a suspend
> does a prepare to suspend step (which freezes processes) and a cpu frequency
> change does a prepare to change frequency step (where it will run the driver
> notifier list to get drivers set to scale).

Yep, and switching consoles is also same. It is prepare to switch, do
a switch, notify people you switched. Shall we use same code?

> They both do the same three steps:
>
> 1) prepare to transition
>
> 2) transition
>
> 3) finish transition
>
> That's one of my arguements as to why suspend states should be treated
> just like frequency states.

Cat and horse is a same animal. They both have 4 legs, one head and a
tail.

Anyway, as a software suspend maintainer, I do not want you to add
non-sleeping states to /sys/power/state. I will NAK any attempt to do
so. Please find more suitable interface.

							Pavel
--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.