[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

| From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw at sisk.pl>
|
| On Monday, 4 September 2006 01:00, Scott E. Preece wrote:
| > policy decision to suspend is based on factors that are wholly different
| > than the factors that drive frequency/voltage changes. If that were the
| > case, then there would be no point to making the decisions in the same
| > place.  Honestly, I'm not sure of the answer to that...
|
| I think the decision to suspend is made
| a) by the user,
| b) by a policy manager in case when, for example, the battery is running
| critical (ie. on emergency).
| and the decision to change a frequency/voltage is usually based on some
| efficiency factors.
|
| Also, the suspend "transitions" are never transparent to the user and the
| changes of frequency/voltage usually are, at least as far as CPUs are
| concerned.
---

Your scope is too narrow. In our domain (mobile phones) the user has no
control at all over power management and decisions to suspend are always
transparent.

In our own implementation, the user-space policy manager initiates
frequency and voltage changes and enabled suspends, but doesn't actually
initiate them. That is, the policy manager says "based on current user
activity, it would be OK to suspend now", and a kernel component then
looks for a good time to do it, based on the system being idle.

We have thought about merging the decisions into a single range of
operating points, but the added plumbing to get idle information back to
the policy manager seemed unappealing.

We don't use cpufreq, so Pavel's arguments about not changing the kernel
interface weren't a concern, for us. We're using a kernel interface that
is all our own (and unappealingly ioctl-based).

scott
--
scott preece
motorola mobile devices, il67, 1800 s. oak st., champaign, il  61820