[linux-pm] OSDL Power Management call 8/24/2006 8 a.m. Pacific

> [mailto:linux-pm-bounces at lists.osdl.org] On Behalf Of Greg KH
> > Again, kernel developers have no need to get input from
> people outside
> > the mailing-list community and no interest in sharing
> information with
> > them?
>
> So are you asking for information from us?  If so, please ask.
>
> And remember, we are here, in public, all the time.  Working
> groups and industry employes are free to contact us at any
> time.  You don't have to try to set up a meeting to do so.
---

Odd - you're free to be contacted, but when the group contacted you, you
complained? I don't think they set up the meeting for the purpose of
contacting you; they were already holding the meeting and announced it
for anyone who might be interested.

---
> > >   - Why is the community being invited to such a meeting?
> > ---
> >
> > My assumption was it was (a) intended as a courtesy to involve
> > additional people in what would normally be a members-only
> meeting and
>
> Don't worry, the community doesn't feel like we are slighted
> if we were not invited.
---

Clearly, I should have just answered, "Why not?" and left it at that.

---

> > (b) because they wanted an opportunity to speak to and hear
> from the
> > developers. I'll let Marc or Patrick provide the real answer.
>
> Did they?  No one has said this!
---

I would have thought that was implicit in an invitation to a working
group meeting, but that's just me...

---
> > That would be nice (though, if I had a dollar for every
> meeting I've
> > gone to without a pre-announced agenda, I wouldn't need to go to
> > meetings).
>
> But as people would be doing this on their own time, you
> would not want to waste it if it was possible.  Don't force
> company "you must go to a meeting" rules on people who do not
> have to go.
---

Did you feel coerced by the announcement? If you had seen the meeting
announcement on the bulletin board at your local coffee shop, who you
have felt similarly negative about the notice having been posted? You
would have preferred that they not make the offer to anyone, because you
aren't interested without an agenda?

Rhetorical debate was fun, but I'll let you get back to useful work,
now, and wait for Patrick or Marc to post the agenda.

Bottom line is that I thought it was a little over-the-top for you to
decline the invitation on behalf of everyone, ("I guess no one will take
the time to join then") rather than just for yourself...

Scott