[linux-pm] OSDL Power Management call 8/24/2006 8 a.m. Pacific

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 06:35:16PM -0400, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
> > From: Greg KH [mailto:greg at kroah.com]
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:46:25PM -0400, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
> > > I'm not sure why you think it's outside "the standard process" to
> > > issue an open invitation to community members to attend a
> > WG meeting.
> >
> > Because kernel development doesn't happen at WG meetings.  It
> > happens when code is posted.  To think otherwise is to not
> > understand the kernel development process.
> ---
>
> So, kernel developers never talk to each other or non-developers except
> through mailing lists? I don't suppose kernel development happens at
> OLS, either, but people seem to go anyway. [Well, looking around the OLS
> sessions, it was clear that some did, but I'm guessing that wasn't the
> primary intention of bringing people to Canada.]

Comparing OLS to an OSDL working group meeting is totally unfair, there
is no comparison.

> > I do however, doubt that a working group meeting is a useful
> > thing for any kernel developer to spend their time attending,
> > unless it is at the behalf of their employer.  And I say this
> > as someone who has attended many such meetings at OSDL and
> > other places.
> ---
>
> Again, kernel developers have no need to get input from people outside
> the mailing-list community and no interest in sharing information with
> them?

So are you asking for information from us?  If so, please ask.

And remember, we are here, in public, all the time.  Working groups and
industry employes are free to contact us at any time.  You don't have to
try to set up a meeting to do so.

Again, if this is the goal of the meeting, then say so.  I have yet to
see a reason for anyone to attend.

> > Again, I will ask these simple questions:
> >
> >   - Why is the community being invited to such a meeting?
> ---
>
> My assumption was it was (a) intended as a courtesy to involve
> additional people in what would normally be a members-only meeting and

Don't worry, the community doesn't feel like we are slighted if we were
not invited.

> (b) because they wanted an opportunity to speak to and hear from the
> developers. I'll let Marc or Patrick provide the real answer.

Did they?  No one has said this!

> ---
> >   - Is there a proposed adgenda so that the community members can
> >     determine if it is worth their time?
> ---
>
> That would be nice (though, if I had a dollar for every meeting I've
> gone to without a pre-announced agenda, I wouldn't need to go to
> meetings).

But as people would be doing this on their own time, you would not want
to waste it if it was possible.  Don't force company "you must go to a
meeting" rules on people who do not have to go.

thanks,

greg k-h