[linux-pm] OSDL Power Management call 8/24/2006 8 a.m. Pacific

> From: Greg KH [mailto:greg at kroah.com]
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:46:25PM -0400, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
> >
> > Well, OSDL is one of several groups formed to try to encourage
> > development in areas that its member companies prefer. OSDL has
> > topic-specific working groups, which consist of people from member
> > companies who are interested in specific technology areas. Those
> > working groups meet so they can educate each other, coordinate
> > activity, prioritize OSDL's activities on the specific
> topics, attempt
> > to reach consensus on the direction the members would like to
> > encourage, and so forth.
>
> I for one, am very familiar with what OSDL does, on many
> levels, but thanks for the summary :)
---

I assumed you were... :-)

---

> > I'm not sure why you think it's outside "the standard process" to
> > issue an open invitation to community members to attend a
> WG meeting.
>
> Because kernel development doesn't happen at WG meetings.  It
> happens when code is posted.  To think otherwise is to not
> understand the kernel development process.
---

So, kernel developers never talk to each other or non-developers except
through mailing lists? I don't suppose kernel development happens at
OLS, either, but people seem to go anyway. [Well, looking around the OLS
sessions, it was clear that some did, but I'm guessing that wasn't the
primary intention of bringing people to Canada.]

---

> I do however, doubt that a working group meeting is a useful
> thing for any kernel developer to spend their time attending,
> unless it is at the behalf of their employer.  And I say this
> as someone who has attended many such meetings at OSDL and
> other places.
---

Again, kernel developers have no need to get input from people outside
the mailing-list community and no interest in sharing information with
them?  Heads-down coding is the best and highest use of every
developer's time (other than, of course, the 100% of time needed to
track LKML)?

---

> Again, I will ask these simple questions:
>
>   - Why is the community being invited to such a meeting?
---

My assumption was it was (a) intended as a courtesy to involve
additional people in what would normally be a members-only meeting and
(b) because they wanted an opportunity to speak to and hear from the
developers. I'll let Marc or Patrick provide the real answer.

---
>   - Is there a proposed adgenda so that the community members can
>     determine if it is worth their time?
---

That would be nice (though, if I had a dollar for every meeting I've
gone to without a pre-announced agenda, I wouldn't need to go to
meetings).

Regards,
scott