[linux-pm] [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, sysfs UI core 2/5

David Brownell wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 3:09 am, Amit Kucheria wrote:

>>> I could easily buy such a mechanism being dependent on EXPERIMENTAL,
>>> for use with developer/prototype boards ... thanks for that scenario.
>>>
>>> But I have a harder time seeing it used in production systems, burnt
>>> into flash on a manufacturing line that already had to qualify that
>>> new hardware before the next production run (of say 10,000 units) was
>>> approved by the powers-that-be.
>>>
>>> - Dave
>>>
>> Sometimes a certain operating point is not desired for regular operation
>> of the device. So it would not be in the board-xx.c file.
>>
>> But connect a peripheral and suddenly this is the most attractive OP for
>> the system.
>>

> And you'd know that in advance, and thus could predefine that OP.  :)
>
> Even in the worst case, where you somehow add a driver without
> upgrading the rest of the kernel in flash, that driver should be
> able to define an OP without userspace.  (I suppose there are some
> product vendors willing to do that type of field upgrade.)
>
> I'm still not persuaded that a UI for OP creation is needed except
> for development.  Feel free to keep trying to persuade me though;
> I'm just pushing back on what I see as weak points, since that's
> the best way I know to come up with good solutions.

I'd like to highlight the only thing that PowerOP sysfs layer provides
two interfaces for operating points creation - one is UI and another is
powerop_register_point/select_point() and the latter is intended to be
utilized by a kernel entity. (Btw, please note that select routine receives
'name' argument)

This may be up to a system designer to define which interface to use
therefore I see it as an advantage of PowerOP rather than as a weak
point.

Since UI part seems most painful one I can think of additional splitting
of PowerOP sysfs layer into two parts. First would be
powerop_register/unregister_point(), powerop_select_point() and
another one would be UI sysfs part. And the latter would be optional.

Thanks,
Eugeny