[linux-pm] [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, sysfs UI core 2/5

On Monday 24 July 2006 2:58 pm, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
> If they're defined dynamically, you can change them without recompiling
> the system, building a new rootfs image, etc. This is especially useful
> during development and tuning of systems built on new hardware, since
> the set of Ops available (that is, that are documented by the chip
> vendor to work) can vary over time and even board-to-board.

I could easily buy such a mechanism being dependent on EXPERIMENTAL,
for use with developer/prototype boards ... thanks for that scenario.

But I have a harder time seeing it used in production systems, burnt
into flash on a manufacturing line that already had to qualify that
new hardware before the next production run (of say 10,000 units) was
approved by the powers-that-be.

- Dave