[linux-pm] Re: Devices eating too much power [was Re: Some thoughts on suspend/resume development]

Adam Belay ?????:

> Also we don't really control display brightness.

It would be good, cause on my laptop LCD's highligting lamp is
automatically adjust after AC or battery is used.

On this laptop i had not manual control over it (i had on old Toshiba
Tecra 550) and that hurts. Default AC brigtness is far too high :-(

As well, while on AC i'd prefer to see fancy screensaver, on battery i'd
prefer to have waste no CPU/GPU power (no screensaver app) and turn LCD off.

I don't know of CRT's brightness has big impact on power consumption.

Of course gamma, color maps and similar funcitons belongs to X, but
hardware, like a lamp behind LCD might be as well controlled by kernel.