[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> > This isn't to say that we should copy Windows.  However it does show that
> > a very complex set of controls might not be needed.
>
> It's true that they might not be needed, but I would still argue that
> people should be given the flexibility if we can do so without too much
> pain - and we can, it seems at the moment. If we follow the line I'm
> promoting of pushing the policy setting out to userspace, then it can
> become userspace's problem as to whether they provide two settings ala
> M$, the ability to fine tune settings ala traditional Linux or some
> combination. Personally, I would think they'd want a combination -
> predefined macro settings but with an expert most that allows fine
> tuning and defining new macro settings - more like the theming of user
> interfaces.

Most of this is fine with me -- I don't much care what the user interface
is like.  I'm more concerned about what facilities the kernel has to
provide in order to implement that interface.  We should strive to keep
the facilities to a minimum.

Overdesign is an exceedingly easy trap to fall into...

Alan Stern