Devices eating too much power [was Re: [linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development]

Hi.

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 08:44, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > I don't object to this in principle, and I can see how it might be useful.
> > >
> > > But at the price of being heretical, consider one of the existing
> > > precedents.  As far as I know, the central device power management
> > > interface in Windows only lets users specify how long to wait before
> > > suspending the display and how long to wait before spinning down disks.
> > > That's all, just two settings.  No per-device stuff, no nothing.
> > >
> > > This isn't to say that we should copy Windows.  However it does show that
> > > a very complex set of controls might not be needed.
>
> Actually, as we already spindown and blank settings, we could finish
> here :-).
>
> What devices is this targetted at? Video should be handled
> already (or perhaps we want to power down graphics card when screen is
> blanked?). Disks spin down too. IRDA ports?

- Video
- Storage
- Hotplug devices
- CPU power savings
- Scanner lights

Anything you might care to imagine :>

Video handling is an ... interesting ... case, sort of like the DRI/DRM
issue. It's a combination of X and FB drivers at the mo. It should be
done in one place.

Regards,

Nigel
--