[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > This locking should be moved to the driver core, if possible.
> >
> > My thought exactly!  Would it suffice to have the PM suspend and resume
> > routines get a read lock on the bus subsystem's rwsem?
> >

> Ugh, wasn't it just recently killed as it was prevnting discovery of
> new child devices upon resume?

I don't know.  Can you send a pointer to the messages in the email
archives?

But drivers shouldn't try to discover new devices during resume; they
should wait until the system is fully up and functional.  Or if they do
insist on discovery during resume, they should wait until the system is up
before trying to register the new devices.

The situation is no different from probe(), because the rwsem is locked at
that time too.

Alan Stern