[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:17:29 -0500 (EST), Alan Stern
<stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My thought exactly!  Would it suffice to have the PM suspend and resume
> > > routines get a read lock on the bus subsystem's rwsem?
> > >

> > Ugh, wasn't it just recently killed as it was prevnting discovery of
> > new child devices upon resume?
>
> I don't know.  Can you send a pointer to the messages in the email
> archives?
>
> But drivers shouldn't try to discover new devices during resume; they
> should wait until the system is fully up and functional.  Or if they do
> insist on discovery during resume, they should wait until the system is up
> before trying to register the new devices.
>
> The situation is no different from probe(), because the rwsem is locked at
> that time too.

I am sorry, I muxed up subsystem's rwsem and dpm_sem. Still issue is
prety much the same.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109755205112315&w=2

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@4186a502_-ZT7ruVgfy3hZZHYSc6UA?nav=index.html|src/.|src/drivers|src/drivers/base|src/drivers/base/power|related/drivers/base/power/main.c

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109944258827464&w=2