[linux-pm] Preparation for a talk on 2.6 power management.

Hi!

> 2) The Challenges in Power Management
> ? Documentation of device capabilities
> ? Devices don't always conform properly to standards (bugs)
> ? The complexity of the task - locking/ordering, minimising
> invasiveness, interaction between drivers, provision of generic
> functionality but also possibility of overriding, support of drivers
> rejecting state changes.
> - Interaction between run-time power management (driver sleeps when
> nothing to do) and system states (suspend to ram/disk etc)

I'd add "it is not allowed to be intrusive".

> 4) The Current State of Play (2.6 kernel)
> ? Very much work in progress!
> ? Focus much more ACPI than now obsolete APM. (True of 2.4 too?)
> ACPI concerned with much more than just PM (Resource enumeration, IRQ
> routing, Sleep state enumeration/methods?)
> ? Driver model implementation. Current focus more on system states (STR,
> STD). Run-time PM support not handled in driver model?
> ? Number of drivers still need switching to driver model or
> implementation of suspend/resume methods. Particular problem areas USB
> and DRI/DRM.

Actually biggest user of old pm_send() interface seems to be ALSA.

> ? Actual internal interface for device states still in a state of flux.
>
> 5) Current working implementations:
> ? STR working on some x86, non-SMP systems
> ? STD (In kernel and Suspend2) work reliably on most x86 systems, ports
> to PPC (both) and ARM (Suspend2 2.0).

> ? Runtime PM support via sysfs interface?

It is not even clear what interface this should have. There's some
completely unusable code in there already, but...

> 6) The Future
> ? Stabilise internal API

Well, first step seems to be

*) Fix internal APIs. Driver's suspend() method needs to get something
else than u32.
								Pavel