[linux-pm] Re: [linux-usb-devel] [patch 2.6.10-rc1-bk] usb PM updates (0/4)

Hi!

> > Except that FREEZE is also neccessary for kexec, would be needed even
> > with selective resume, and is probably good idea for powerdown/reboot
> > too?
>
> I don't have any problem with ways to quiesce the whole
> system ... but it's not exactly a PM operation either.

Well, its very similar to most PM operations and I do not think
duplicating infrastructure would be good idea.

> > [Oh and btw stop whining about selective resume -- it is not going to
> > happen anytime soon. It is probably not going to happen, period. It is
> > bad idea and I do not want it near my code.]
>
> Such unsupported/unsupportable assertions don't help.

Ignoring previous discussion is not exactly helpfull, either.

> There's nothing in the hardware that prevents systems
> from keeping most components in low power mode while
> others are still active.  And likewise there's no
> reason for software to prevent it either.

Agreed. And there's no reason to do it during system suspend, either.

> In fact I'm totally at a loss to understand why you
> have such a strong objection to the idea.  There
> are any number of embedded systems that rely on
> selective suspend and resume -- along with other
> power management techniques! -- to minimize power
> drain.  Why should Linux cripple itself by ruling
> out such techniques?  Penguins with just one flipper
> havea hard time swimming ... :)

Do selective suspend during runtime power managment, that's okay. But
its useless for suspend-to-disk. (And I do not see how you could use
it for suspend-to-ram, I hope you do not want that).

Lets see, so you suggest to

* SUSPEND all but swap device and parents
* Snapshot
* Write image to disk
* SUSPEND swap device and parents
* Powerdown

Oh no, that does not work, if swap device or its parents uses DMA,
you've corrupted data. You'd have to do

* SUSPEND all but swap device and parents
* FREEZE swap device and parents
* Snapshot
* UNFREEZE swap device and parents
* Write
* SUSPEND swap device and parents

Which means that you still need that FREEZE state, and you get more
complicated code. (And I have not yet introduce details like system
devices).
								Pavel