[linux-pm] Re: [linux-usb-devel] [patch 2.6.10-rc1-bk] usb PM updates (0/4)

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 07:58, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Except that FREEZE is also neccessary for kexec, would be needed even
> with selective resume, and is probably good idea for powerdown/reboot
> too?

I don't have any problem with ways to quiesce the whole
system ... but it's not exactly a PM operation either.

> [Oh and btw stop whining about selective resume -- it is not going to
> happen anytime soon. It is probably not going to happen, period. It is
> bad idea and I do not want it near my code.]

Such unsupported/unsupportable assertions don't help.

There's nothing in the hardware that prevents systems
from keeping most components in low power mode while
others are still active.  And likewise there's no
reason for software to prevent it either.

In fact I'm totally at a loss to understand why you
have such a strong objection to the idea.  There
are any number of embedded systems that rely on
selective suspend and resume -- along with other
power management techniques! -- to minimize power
drain.  Why should Linux cripple itself by ruling
out such techniques?  Penguins with just one flipper
havea hard time swimming ... :)

- Dave