[linux-pm] PM vs. usermode helpers: request_firmware() must die

> No reason there shouldn't be both.  On the other hand,
> keep in mind that the typical case with selective suspend
> is going to be that usermode is there, and working just
> fine ... if you're concerned with shutdown sequences
> that need userspace to behave, one strategy would be
> to quiesce more intelligently:  shutting down as much
> as possible *BEFORE* userspace can no longer assist.

It's very difficult to predict. Any block device can be on
the VM path for example, or a network driver can be in the
way (NFS) etc...

> And on resume, in_system_resume() would be true until
> userspace is available again ... just one call needed?
>
> But I don't think any "quiesce the system" strategy
> that works well on complex systems can be very simple.
>
> The firmware example is just one case from its
> class ... quiescing (plus resuming) a component
> that needs help both from kernel (driver, ...) and
> userspace (firmware or other services). Single phase
> "kernel only" quiesce models have obvious holes.
> A two phase model is probably necessary, though
> we don't have one.  (I hope two is enough, but
> that gets into larger design issues.)

Yes, but the "need userspace" phase doesn't block device activity
and doesn't need bus ordering, so can be a simple notifier list,
very few drivers really need it. Though just using different
PRE-SUSPEND and POST-RESUME messages & the existing callbacks would
work too.

Ben.