[linux-pm] PM vs. usermode helpers: request_firmware() must die

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 14:44, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > No reason there shouldn't be both.  On the other hand,
> > keep in mind that the typical case with selective suspend
> > is going to be that usermode is there, and working just
> > fine ... if you're concerned with shutdown sequences
> > that need userspace to behave, one strategy would be
> > to quiesce more intelligently:  shutting down as much
> > as possible *BEFORE* userspace can no longer assist.
>
> It's very difficult to predict. Any block device can be on
> the VM path for example, or a network driver can be in the
> way (NFS) etc...

Where does "predict" come into it?  There are basic
integrity rules to follow, analagous to those which
the driver model already handles.  PCI bridges only
suspend after devices on the other side.  USB hubs
only suspend after the devices connected to them.

Shouldn't block devices not "freeze" until after
there's no need to page/swap on them?  That is,
until after userspace is refrigerated.  We seem
to have a rather ad-hoc model of shutdown ordering;
it's great that we can finally enforce constraints
using bus topology, but that's not all there is.

- Dave