[linux-pm] PM vs. usermode helpers: request_firmware() must die

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 01:22 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > We probably want to provide a global function saying something like
> > > suspend_in_progress() too, just in case a driver want to WARN/BUG_ON, or
> > > actually test if it can do something without having to track the
> > > pre-suspend and post-resume events.
> >
> > yes, better that than defining lots of flags on PM messages
> > (which was the previous notion)
>
> Ugh, no, flags should stay. suspend_in_progress() should be used for
> BUG_ON()'s etc, but little else. Drivers should not decide based on
> it.

Not as flags, though. As events yes, so drivers just don't put them in
their switch/case and all is well. Flags is really for ... flags, that
is additional low level details that drivers don't normally have to care
about at all. I agree with David, abuse of flags is evil, so let's not
start doing it already

> like if kmalloc is alocating with GFP_KERNEL, it should do
> BUG_ON(in_suspend())...

No... You may have other parts of the kernel possibly doing it, if they
block I don't mind. Remember I'm not intendng on putting processes in
the fridge on ppc :)

> [Hmm, and in_suspend() is probably better name, consistent with
> in_atomic() and in_interrupt().]

Yah.

Ben.