[linux-pm] PM vs. usermode helpers: request_firmware() must die

> Ok, we probably want to free firmware image from memory....

Or whatever else a driver may want to do... There are other reasons a
driver may rely on userland, or may want to do GFP_KERNEL blocking
allocations. Remember that those will possibly block forever too once
the swap device is frozen.

> Well, I could define two more events, and possibly kill event = ON; do
> you really thing so many drivers will care?

A few will, I suspect DRI for example will in the long run since it may
have to allocate a significant amount of memory. APM emulation is more
like a subsystem, so it would rather hook at a different level.

We probably want to provide a global function saying something like
suspend_in_progress() too, just in case a driver want to WARN/BUG_ON, or
actually test if it can do something without having to track the
pre-suspend and post-resume events.

Ben.