swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thursday 28 October 2004 15:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I'm not sure what hardware model you were thinking of,
> > but that approach doesn't seem like it can be "right"
> > for all hardware.  The very thing that enables you to
> > enter the deepest sleep state might be that you had
> > already stopped using the 48MHz clock, PLL shut down.
> > That's a real world example from OMAP(*).
> >
> > So that issue is what I said:  "don't restart".  You
> > were talking about "don't stop".
>
> Well, in case of suspend-to-disk, there's no need to really enter deep
> sleep during freeze, right?

The S4 style STD would certainly use "deep sleep".

> I'm arguing "freeze/unfreeze" can be very fast. No need to play with
> partial trees, because "freeze/unfreeze" can be fast and it is easier
> that way.

"Can be" on some hardware, depending on how "freeze" is
implemented.  What happens to devices that are already
fully shut down?  Or devices that issue wakeup events
when they're unfrozen?

> Actually, you can't store it in device->driver_data without making
> driver_data __nosave. And that would be kind of painfull.

Erm, care to elaborate on "__nosave"?  The driver
would probably break if you didn't save its driver
data ... I suspect you're making some assumptions
about what drivers do with "freeze", ones that
should be made explicit so I can properly agree
with them (or not).

- Dave