swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 22:17 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Well, for example disk driver certainly needs interrupt controller and
> timer devices to be working... Disk itself does not care about timer
> devices, but driver certainly needs them.

Those are generally low level 'sysdev's, and yes, sydev's must certainly
need to be woken up.

> Eh? If you have Save after Stop, how are you going to allocate memory
> for save?
>
> I'd try not to overcomplicate it. Current sequence seems to work quite
> okay. It only got interesting for ipw2100.

Grrrr....

I have the feeling that 2 years of explanation of why we can't break
into separate steps just vanished !

Damn, Pat, why do you come back with this idea over and over again every
time you pop up from the void !?!?

The only separate steps I've been advocating are very different, and are
pre-suspend and post-resume steps aimed at giving an opportunity to do
things that can't be done once the actual suspend/resume dance started,
like allocating memory, doing things with userland (firmware etc...), or
just knowing that you can't do things with userland anymore until you
get the post-wakeup call.

Ben.