swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 09:28 -0700, David Brownell wrote:

> That is, there should be no "freeze the driver" request.
> All drivers except those for the swap device should just
> go straight into the relevant low power state, and stay.
> Just like STR.

Not exactly... first the driver used for the swap device still need to
be "frozen" during the actual image snapshot.

Second, for STD, we don't necessarily want to go through the burden of
putting all devices in low power if all you'll do next is to power the
machine off :) But that's not a big issue

> Most of the PITA that I'm seeing with USB should be easily
> resolved by only resuming the swap device (and ancestors),
> and that would simplify the suspend model for almost all
> drivers.  (Except for swap devices, and ancestors, which
> would still need special attentions:  appropriate.)

Well, we need the "freeze" semantics for other things too, like kexec,
anyway. It's +/- the semantics of "shutdown", but I've always considered
having two different calls here was bogus.

Ben.