swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 01:26 -0700, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> We need better vocabulary. In previous messages, you mixed 'freeze' and
> 'suspend'; and 'unfreeze' and 'resume'. Each one of those has differently
> defined semantics in other contexts.
>
> I assume that the idea is still to have multiple calls to perform the
> entire transition - the first being to queisce the driver and stop any
> activity; the second being to perform the actual power transition.
> (Actually, there should be three - an additional one in the middle to save
> the device states.)
>
> Do we agree on tht?

Nope nope nope :(

There must be only one call as far as drivers are concerned that will
stop/save/powerdown. The reason is simple: once your parent driver has
been "stopped", how can you talk to your devices to do "save" or "power
down" ?

However, there are various different calls depending on the kind of
transition requested by the upper level that imply different semantics.

> if so (and I'll try not to stray too far here), then we should agree on
> what to call those. I propose the following names, with another parameter
> that is passed to the method called containing the system state we're
> about to enter(the encoding of which is momentarily irrelevant):

Nope :)

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>