Re: [RFC] PCI: add support for Immediate Readiness

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 08:18:48AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Thanks for the spec reference.
> >
> > Yes.  Please include the reference in the changelog of v2.
>
> will do
>
> >> I think the patch is touching the wrong places. pci_dev_wait() is there
> >> to wait for CRS response to finish following reset.
> >>
> >> Typical sequences are:
> >> 1. Do some kind of reset in another routine
> >> 2. Wait reset specific wait time (1sec for secondary bus reset as an
> >> example and 100ms for d3-d0 transition)
> >> 3. call pci_dev_wait() after reset to see if device can accept config
> >> transactions.
> >>
> >> Since this applies to all resets, I think you also need to get rid of
> >> waits following different reset types in step #2 and return immediately.
> >> I suggest you review callers of pci_dev_wait() and tap in there.
> >
> > I agree; I think we should be able to skip the delays in pcie_flr(),
> > pci_af_flr(), etc.
>
> but that's why I put the code in pci_dev_wait(). Both pcie_flr() and
> pci_af_flr() call pci_dev_wait(); or are you saying that the msleep(100)
> call in pci_af_flr() can also be removed if (dev->imm_ready)?

Yes.  The spec says (PCIe r4.0, sec 7.5.1.1.4):

  When this bit is Set, for accesses to this Function, software is
  exempt from all requirements to delay configuration accesses
  following any type of reset, including but not limited to the timing
  requirements defined in Section 6.6.

Sec 6.6 contains various references to waiting 100ms after different
types of resets, and I think those correspond to the msleep(100)
calls.  So I think we can skip those delays if the device supports
Immediate Readiness.

pci_dev_wait() is connected with CRS.  There's some reason that
function doesn't actually looks for CRS responses, which I can't
remember right now.  But you can look it up in the changelogs.

So I don't think we should put the Immediate Readiness check in
pci_dev_wait().

Bjorn