Re: Trying to reset a PCIe device and scratching my head...

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:28:14AM +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> The PCIe AER driver (drivers/pci/pcie/aer/) sends a hot reset when
> it has received a fatal error.  As far as I can tell, it just sets the
> PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_BUS_RESET bit of the upstream bridge; everything else
> is just infrastructure to handle error reporting and to notify the
> device driver about the reset.

Hi.  That's what I thought, too, and was the first thing I tried.  Actually,
that's not true.  The first thing I tried was to invoke pci_reset_function()
which looks like it performs an FLR followed by A secondary bus reset of
the upstream bridge.

When that didn't work, I tried to send an explicit PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_BUS_RESET
to the upstream bridge.

In both cases, no reset occurred and no error was indicated on the host
side.

As an aside... it looks like most of the PCIe AER-handling stuff is for PPC at
this point (looks to be stubbed-out for other arch).  Shame, because it seems
like a pretty clean interface.

Jimmie