Re: [patch 1/6] pci-quirks: unhide 'Overflow' device on i828{6, 7}5P/PE chipsets

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> about why they recommend it be disabled?  Presumably they'd like to
> have the EDAC functionality (maybe on Windows?), so I would think that
> they'd only recommend disabling the device if it were broken or there
> were some other avenue for supporting EDAC.

Or if whatever Windows does to PCI devices by default on suspend/resume is
not appropriate for the overflow device... etc.

All I know is that this idiotic hiding of the overflow device breaks EDAC
functionality on all of my perfectly EDAC'able D875PBZ unless I manually
patch the kernel to unhide it.

And since I have been running these boards with EDAC active using local
hacks to deal with the overflow device for *years* (well before EDAC was
even merged in mainline, and was still called bluesmoke), I know for sure it
is safe on this board.

In fact, do we have any reports of misbehaviour when one unhides the device?
Because I only know of sucess cases...

  Henrique Holschuh