Re: external PCI parallel ports

Hi Bjorn,

On Saturday 21 June 2008 12:16, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Gustavo Homem <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > As server manufacturers start removing parallel ports from servers, the
> > need for linux compatible PCI parallel ports arises.
>
> May I ask why?

Of course.

Some customers have:

1- parallel port based matrix printers for invoices that have been working
fine for years
2- legacy windows based sofware which uses parallel port loopbacks, and we
usually install on a VM hosted on a stable Linux server.

> Personally I see the need for serial ports for console,
> but the parallel port could just as well be replaced by USB based
> solutions, couldn't it?

For case 1 yes, although it seems that some parallel -> usb are driver
dependent. We managed to use one transparently although there are "hidden"
bytes printed which affected the character based invoice layout and had to be
compensated for.

For case 2 I don't see a solution.

> > What external PCI devices are known to work well on Linux?
>
> I believe most of them will work.

I'm skeptical about this. The reason for existing an (outdated) list goes
against that conjecture. The fact that windows drivers are needed reinforces
that feeling.

> This is an example of a card that is
> readily available here in Norway, and where the manufacturer states
> "Drivers for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP, Linux & Dos Operating System" :
> http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/pci-1p.html

I will have a look at it.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt