Re: Aw: Re: Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions

In my - very limited, just one c8000 - experience, the CPU upgrade is
a successfull move: I have upgraded from one to two PA-8800:

   (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved

  Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache Size
  Number                                       State              Inst    Data
  ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ------------
      0      1000 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB/32 MB
      1      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB
      2      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB
      3      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB

The two CPUs MUST be of the same model, have the same clock frequency
AND have the same revision number. I strongly suspect that HP has
produced "equal" CPUs but with different revision number.

I had the very same issue restoring and upgrading a DELL 690, a dual
Xeon "Großrechner " with 1100Watt power supply. The two Xeon must be
"matched" otherwise the BIOS refuse to start the booting process.

I have recently bough two PA-8800 on ebay and the supplier has sent to
me two different CPUs! Looking the integrated heat sink, there are two
models: the plain "clear alluminium" and the "satinated copper". My
c8000 was equipped with a single "satinated copper" CPU, so I chose
the identical one and, with the help of a very skilled technician
equiped with the right screwdrivers, I have successfully completed the
upgrade: everythings works perfectly with HP-UX v11 and Linux Debian
8.0 kernel :

Linux version 4.4.0-1-parisc64-smp (debian-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
(gcc version 4.9.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.4.6-1 (2016-03-17)

If you need, I can dump the CPUs revision numbers. With the help of
Helge, I'm putting the results of my jurney in the c8000 territory on
a dedicated wikipage: searching in the maling list messages can be
very frustrating, expecially for a newbie like me.

Now, I'm fighting with the video cards initializiation failure: I
strongly suspect that the problem is not inside the (kernel) video
driver module because both "nouveau" (NVIDIA) and "radeon" (ATI)
produce exactly the very same error message and switch back to
"passive" frame buffer mode.

 Simone Mannori - Italy