Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions

> Q1. On HP c8000 the built-in serial ports A and B are useless for
> Linux installation. A PCI serial card with a PC compatible UART must
> be used.
>
> Q2. After installation, serial ports A and B are still unusable with
> Linux or they become available?

Both ports will work, but they have non-standard names. You need to pass
"console=ttyB0" to see the boot messages.

> Q3. Is it possible to install Linux and boot from an IDE/PATA disk or
> any IDE/PATA disk will be available only as "data disk" (no boot; boot
> works only on SCSI disks)?

I have installed mine from an IDE CD to SCSI disks, no idea if booting from
IDE disks works.

> Q3. I have found that c8000 "bios" has an x86 emulator capable to
> detect and initialise PCI and AGP "x86 PC" cards with x86 coded
> VGA-BIOS. It is correct?

Yes, you can use standard AGP cards. I have not done it myself, but a
colleague did.

> Q4. Recent kernel and X11 versions have built-in hardware support for
> OpenGL for the models where the manifacture has released the technical
> specs. Why on Linux-hppa the hardware acceleration is not supported?

Probably because noone did it.

> Q5. After the installation, the built-in Ethernet interface will
> becomes available or I need to install a second PCI network card?

Works fine, e1000 driver.

> Q6. Recent kernel versions have built-in Comedi data acquisition
> drivers built-in. If I will install a compatible DAQ card in a PCI
> slot, it will works?

None idea, but if not it's probably just a bug.

> Q7. Someone has tried any hard-real-time-patched linux kernel on
> pa-risc machines (like RT-PREEMPT or RTAI) or other tricks to reduce
> kernel latency (like forced cpu assignement to a specific process)?

I did not. The machine is slow enough that I'm happy for every throughput I
get without this ;)

Greetings,

Eike