Re: debian hppa

On 7/7/2011 12:18 PM, dann frazier wrote:
On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 05:49:36PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM, John David Anglin
<dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi Thibaut,

On 13-Jun-11, at 6:19 PM, Thibaut VARENE wrote:

I would say your other machines need updating even if the process is
somewhat rocky as that's the only way a broadbased release can be tested.
Well I can assign one machine (the a500, being easy to reboot/fix as
it is) to testing kernels, but for a stable kernel suitable for the
machines I'm e.g. assigning to the GCC Compile Farm[0], what would be
a good SMP kernel version to choose? I'm looking for the same level of
hassle-freeness as 2.6.22.19 since these machines are under relatively
heavy load and I cannot afford to tend to their care on a daily basis
;-)
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think assigning the a500 to the GCC
farm
provides good visibility.  For GCC, the kernel version doesn't matter much.
  The
main issue is stability.
OK, so I suppose it's fine to stick with 2.6.22.19? I thought there
were issues with un-implemented syscalls and such, so I don't really
know...

This comment was specific to building and testing GCC. It currently takes slightly over
24 hours to build and test GCC trunk on my c3750.

Honestly, the most reliable build machine I've used is my
C3700. I don't recall ever having any build issues with
that. Anything it gives up in speed is definitely outweighed by
having to e.g. retry gcc 5 times before succeeding. By the end of the
port, I'd normally handbuild new gcc uploads here to avoid thrashing
on the real buildds. If given the option, I'd recommend 3 of those
boxes for a buildd ring.

Based on my testing, it's no longer necessary to try 5 times before succeeding with rp3440. I agree that the C37XX machines are very stable and don't suffer from the SMP/cache issues present in the servers. If the ring above could be arranged, that would be excellent.

Dave

--
John David Anglin    dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx