Re: debian hppa

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM, John David Anglin
<dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Thibaut,
>
> On 13-Jun-11, at 6:19 PM, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
>
>>> I would say your other machines need updating even if the process is
>>> somewhat rocky as that's the only way a broadbased release can be tested.
>>
>> Well I can assign one machine (the a500, being easy to reboot/fix as
>> it is) to testing kernels, but for a stable kernel suitable for the
>> machines I'm e.g. assigning to the GCC Compile Farm[0], what would be
>> a good SMP kernel version to choose? I'm looking for the same level of
>> hassle-freeness as 2.6.22.19 since these machines are under relatively
>> heavy load and I cannot afford to tend to their care on a daily basis
>> ;-)
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think assigning the a500 to the GCC
> farm
> provides good visibility.  For GCC, the kernel version doesn't matter much.
>  The
> main issue is stability.

OK, so I suppose it's fine to stick with 2.6.22.19? I thought there
were issues with un-implemented syscalls and such, so I don't really
know...

> I was wondering if the rp3440 in the ESIEE might be assigned to running
> debian
> buildd.  I believe that the current set of known kernel patches will make
> this
> machine reasonably stable under medium load.  Carlos recently found a big
> bug in the kernel futex code.  In any case, I recently successfully built
> many
> unstable packages on my rp3440.
>
> I would be willing to help getting this going.

I have no problem with this, the only "active" user of the rp3440 is
Aurélien, so I suppose it wouldn't be a problem. Yet, my understanding
is that the rp3440 is extremely slow at building anything (much slower
than my other machines, it seems) because of the cache flush issues.
AIUI that's why Debian stuck to J6700 for buildds, because those
machines were a lot faster.

Other than that, the rp3440 currently runs unstable with 2.6.22.19, so
I suppose a complete reinstall would be in order, and I'm not sure I
have time to deal with that just yet. I'd be happy to provide remote
access to the machine though, if someone steps up. FWIW, the only
machine I have left running lenny is a J5000, 2x440MHz PA8500,
previously used as an autobuilder for debian-multimedia.org.

HTH,
T-Bone

--
Thibaut VARENE