Re: C8000 cpu upgrade problem

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, John David Anglin wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
>
> > It showed "WARNING: Too many CPUs for this system." and the new cpu wasn't
> > shown in "IN PR" command. Also, "BO" command refused to boot becuase of
> > the warning.
>
> I would check system LEDs to see if a fault is indicated.  Also, look
> for relevant errors in the service error logs.

LEDs 2 and 3 are red --- just like a normal boot, when the machine is
waiting in the PDC menu for the boot command.

> Are both processor modules same speed and cache?

Yes.

> The following suggests Carlos is correct:
>
> http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1287851022683+28353475&threadId=1251754

Yes, I found it too.

> In reviewing the technical reference, I don't see any warning that
> upgrading/replacing a processor module may require a HP technician
> to reset the system configuration.
>
> In the section on replacing the system board, it says to use the ss_update
> utility in the BCH Service menu to reset the serial number.  Is the MFG
> menu accessible?  There may be some hidden commands to setup config.

There is a service menu, but no mfg menu and no ss_update command.

Interesting ... "mfg" gives "ERROR: Unsupported command" while any other
bad commands gives "ERROR: Unknown command".

So there is something magic abouth that "mfg" menu, but it's inaccessible.

> It appears that processors have to be installed in the correct slot
> since the BCH has the following warning:
> WARNING: Processors are not installed in the correct order.
>
> Dave
> --
> J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

Mikulas