Re: C8000 cpu upgrade problem

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> It showed "WARNING: Too many CPUs for this system." and the new cpu wasn't
> shown in "IN PR" command. Also, "BO" command refused to boot becuase of
> the warning.

I would check system LEDs to see if a fault is indicated.  Also, look
for relevant errors in the service error logs.

Are both processor modules same speed and cache?

The following suggests Carlos is correct:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1287851022683+28353475&threadId=1251754

In reviewing the technical reference, I don't see any warning that
upgrading/replacing a processor module may require a HP technician
to reset the system configuration.

In the section on replacing the system board, it says to use the ss_update
utility in the BCH Service menu to reset the serial number.  Is the MFG
menu accessible?  There may be some hidden commands to setup config.

It appears that processors have to be installed in the correct slot
since the BCH has the following warning:
WARNING: Processors are not installed in the correct order.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)