Re: C8000 cpu upgrade problem

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, John David Anglin wrote:

> > I have a C8000 workstation with one PA8800 900MHz CPU (the motherboard has
> > two sockets), I installed Linux via serial console on it and it seems to
> > be running quite fine (I had to plug a PCI serial card because Linux
> > doesn't recognize the on-board serial ports or videocard).
> >
> > When I inserted anober PA8800 900MHz CPU (taken from another workstation)
> > to the second socket on the motherboard, the boot firmware writes a
> > warning "Too many CPUs for this system.", drops into the boot menu and
> > refuses to load an operating system.
>
> It looks like it should be possible to add a second processor.  See
> Technical Reference Guide HP workstation c8000, Document Part Number:
> 5969-3188.

I used this guide when adding the new CPU. I bought the torx screwdriver
and the hex tool (as described in the guide) from the local hardware
store.

> Did you install second CPU power module?

Yes.

> > Do you have some idea how to solve it? I.e. switch something in the
> > firmware, load new firmware (I have FW 2.13 BMC 02.32), or get some tool
> > from HP that can allow the second processor on this workstation?
>
> I don't have any specific knowledge about the c8000.  It appears CPUs
> are configured in the BCH configuration menu with the CPUconfig command.
> Based on my experience with rp3440, you have to do a hard reboot
> after configuring a CPU.  If a CPU gets deconfigured or it doesn't appear
> when you type CPUconfig, there is probably a hardware problem.
>
> 2.13 seems to be latest firmware.
>
> Dave

It showed "WARNING: Too many CPUs for this system." and the new cpu wasn't
shown in "IN PR" command. Also, "BO" command refused to boot becuase of
the warning.

Mikulas