Re: OMAP3 DSS2 - VENC timings

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:08 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I'm running a frame buffer console on a TV device via the VENC.
> The video timings don't see to be quite right as Tux is about
> 1/2 off the screen - both directions, i.e. his head and right
> side have been cut off as they are outside the viewable area.
> Also, when I send data to the device (via /dev/tty1) which has
> 90x35 characters, I lose 4 characters on each end of every line.
>
> Is there something I can do about this?  I've looked at the
> timings in drivers/video/omap2/dss/venc.c

I don't know much about analog TV, but my understanding is that there's
always overscanning going on. You just have to size and position the
overlay so that it is visible on your TV.

> Also, how can I select NTSC vs PAL setups via the command line?
> I have only the one video device VENC.

Documentation/arm/OMAP/DSS says you can echo "pal" or "ntsc" to
sys/devices/platform/omapdss/display?/timings file.

 Tomi