OMAP3 DSS2 - VENC timings

I'm running a frame buffer console on a TV device via the VENC.
The video timings don't see to be quite right as Tux is about
1/2 off the screen - both directions, i.e. his head and right
side have been cut off as they are outside the viewable area.
Also, when I send data to the device (via /dev/tty1) which has
90x35 characters, I lose 4 characters on each end of every line.

Is there something I can do about this?  I've looked at the
timings in drivers/video/omap2/dss/venc.c

Also, how can I select NTSC vs PAL setups via the command line?
I have only the one video device VENC.

Thanks