Re: Staging tree for AM335x platforms

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Jason Kridner <jkridner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [110921 10:56]:
>> Tony,
>>
>> I'm looking at creating a public repository to hold patches not yet in
>> shape for inclusion in linux-omap (if not personally, then someone at
>> TI that meets the below charter).  I know there can be concern that
>> this becomes a distraction if we start pulling in community patches.
>> It seems it needs to be coupled with reworking systems for acceptance
>> upstream, but we'd like for there to be something where community
>> members can generate patches against while we are in the process of
>> cleaning up the underlying platform bits.
>
> OK cool.
>
>> Do you have any recommendations or guidelines that should be followed
>> regarding anything about such a public repository?  Recommendations
>> and guidelines can include, but not be limited to, where the
>> repository should live, where patches and pull requests should be
>> submitted, what types of patches should be accepted and what state
>> they should be in, when should it be rebased, who is suitable to
>> maintain this repository and what should be used for managing patch
>> status (ie. patchwork and which patchwork).
>
> Well in general the thing to watch out for is once you create a tree
> it becomes a complete mess in about three months. Or else it just
> becomes a graveyard of unmergeable patches :)

I'm not going to advertise a tree here and on the beagle list until
I'm confident I can stick with it a couple of years consistently.  I
like to keep some labels on old stuff, but I would commit to having it
rebased frequently and tested in an automated fashion.

> So keeping that in mind, ideally your tree would be just a daily merge
> of various driver developers branches. And then try to set up things
> where the responsibility of merging code upstream is on the drivers
> developers. Trying to merge other people's patches upstream is not
> scalable.

Understood.  I'd be looking for contributors to show some commitment
or drop their patches.  I'm sure there will be a certain amount of
fire-and-forget patches coming from people that I'll want to try to
push for them, but I'll try to shed the cruft frequently.

> Other than that, you should be able to base it on some recent mainline
> tag and pick in some queued up patches as needed.
>
>> If this doesn't sound useful to you, then please feel free to shut me
>> down on this.  The goal is to help and it is understood that
>> contributions to the infrastructure (dev tree, pwr mgmt, etc.) are
>> required to be productive.
>
> That totally sounds usable to me :) Assuming you can figure out some
> way to address the comments above.
>
> For helping with contributions, I can think of a few places where
> help is badly needed:
>
> 1. Remove dependencies in mainline kernel that block merging
>
>   Maybe you can isolate some issues in mainline kernel that cause
>   you problems merging your patches upstream? If so, whatever is
>   needed should be done to patch away those dependencies. At least
>   PM patches fit into this category..

Makes sense.

> 2. Merge all am335x/beagle clone board-*.c files together
>
>   This would help a lot when we start converting drivers to use
>   device tree as it reduces the number of board-*.c files

Sounds like a good task and something I can tackle.  I got some
push-back on this from internal developers, but I think I can start
merging some of it myself and send some code to ask advice on how to
make it most maintainable.

> 3. Help with device tree conversion of device drivers
>
>   Which drivers do most am335x and beagle clones use? Maybe
>   you can help converting those drivers to use device tree?

USB, GPIO, I2C and SPI are most critical from my perspective.  I need
to figure out which of those already have some owners pushing them
ahead.

>   Sure some drivers depend on regulator framework conversion and
>   the device tree omap_device glue layer, but there are already
>   patches being posted for those

Great.  I guess it makes sense for this tree to include those patches
and hopefully the thrash when they change won't be unbearable.  I
won't know until I start doing it. :-)